Associate/SA, Product Designer — IBG
You'll spend most of your time trying to simplify very complex products and ideas. It may be an uphill battle, but it's worth it. If you succeed, your designs will be experienced by millions and solve real-life problems. We say that, if you can work in a bank, you can work anywhere. Don't worry, we're a nice bunch of people. Around here, we go out of our way to help one another.
Here's what your week might look like
- You'll spend time with our wonderful research team. Together you'll translate user insights into tangible designs that address customer needs while meeting the business goals of the project.
- More often than not, you'll check on the latest relevant data to get a better understanding of the problem and meet the stakeholders to redefine the problem statement.
- Once you know where you're going, it's time to tackle the behemoth tech systems and legal restrictions of a bank. Your product manager will become your best friend. You'll get a crash course in finance law.
- We want to hire people who have opinions, believe in their ideas and are willing to fight for them. But we also want people who can recognise when a better argument or solution is put before them. All of us participate in user testing, and so will you.
- Produce work you are proud of. This is where your craft comes in. Depending on the demands of the project, you should be familiar with creating user journey maps, service design blueprints, work on information architecture, product wireframes and clickable prototypes for user validation sessions.
- We do respect the privacy of people with headphones-on, trying to avoid eye contact. So you'll have the time to focus on your stuff.
- Like we said, producing good work is not good enough if it doesn't get built. You will meet stakeholders from different departments and articulate your ideas so clearly that you'll become an honorary Toastmaster.
- Before you know it, it will be Friday and time for team dinner, drinks or Creative Day (we do something fun and creative together once a month).
Here are the experience and skills we'd love you to have
- You can brainstorm the next big thing one moment and still tweak pixels right before launch.
- You have the ability to prioritise (you don't focus on illustrations if the UX looks like a love child between Frankenstein and Krusty the Clown).
- You work smart and are ready to improve processes.
- You have enough curiosity to stay savvy about industry and UX trends.
- You have confidence in your ideas and the ability to communicate them clearly.
- You follow through—when built, your designs actually look and work like they should. You monitor products after launch and are ready to suggest improvements.
- You have a burning desire to make things better and don’t accept non-answers like “that’s just the way it has always been”.
- Experience in solving complex problems and the storytelling to make the solution real.
- Mastery with all design, presentation and video tools/software so that shaping ideas is effortless.
- You actively contribute to the UX community.
- You're kind of a behavioural science geek.
- You have personal pet projects you work on for fun in your free time.
Your team and career
You will be working closely with stakeholders and fellow designers within DBS Institutional Banking Group (IBG). The things you design will meet the needs of a range of customers from small sole-proprietorships to large global institutions with different departments and army of staff of varying levels with different needs.
Depending on your career aspirations, you can continue to grow by pursuing perfection in your craft as an individual contributor or take on managerial responsibilities as a design manager.
Write to us with your portfolio and resume at firstname.lastname@example.org